The Sand Cat

Published on: Author: simonedc15 9 Comments

The sand cat can live with very little water or no additional water. Sand cats predators are predatory birds, wild dogs and humans. Sand cats prey on gerbils, birds, jerboas and mice. The sand cat is a mammal. It has black stripes on its tail. Sand cats can run up to 25 mph. The sand cat, is also known as the sand dune cat. Sand cats are found in both sandy and stony deserts, living in areas far from water.

SandCatsInPottery

Habitat loss is the major threat to the sand cat. Dry ecosystems are being affected by human settlement and livestock.

Here are the lengths of the sand cat:

• Length: 39-52 cm ( 15-20″ )
  • Tail length: 23-31 cm ( 9-12″)
  • Height: 24-30 cm (10-12″)
  • Weight: 1.3-3.4 kg ( 3-7.5 lbs )

9 Responses to The Sand Cat Comments (RSS) Comments (RSS)

1. Dear Simone,

I did not know that the sand cat can run 25 mph that was so amazing to hear about. I all so didn’t know that sand cats can live without water. I thought that every thing needs water to live because fishing cats need water so much. What is your favorite animal?Mine is a baby fishing cat.

From,
    Mia

2. Dear Simone,
    After you researched the sand cat last year, I was always amazed at the fact that it can live with little or no water. Like Mia, I also didn’t know that it can run up to 25 mph. I think that’s fast for these cats.

Thank you for researching the sand cat. What do you think you’ll research next?

From,
    Mrs. Fordyce

3. Dear Simone,
    The sand cat is very cute. Did you have fun studying the sand cat?
    Why is it called a sand cat?

From,
    Avery and Lucy,

4. Dear Simone, I liked your post about the sand cat. that was cool. I learned that the sand cat lives far from water and lives in the dessert. I learned a lot! thank you!
    Howdy,
    katie

5. Dear Simone,
    I didn’t even know that there was such thing of a sand cat. So I learned a lot from your post. I think that they are really cute. For such a small animal and small legs they are very fast.
    From, Joseph

• Dear Joseph,
      I think their really cute too.
      I might put a picture of a baby sand cat!
      I forgot what your animal is!
      Will you tell me?
      I also want to learn facts about your animal.

From,
      Simone

6. Dear Simone,
    I love your post. I did not know that the sand cat can run 25 mph. They look so cute. Did you like researching the sand cat?

From,
    Riley

7. Dear Simone,

Hi! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ I’m Emma. I think sand cats are cute too. But did you know that sand cats have hair pads on the bottom of their feet? Well, they do because they use these hairs to keep the heat out of their feet. And you can come to my blog at http://blog.elanco.org/oberholtmno/ and comment on my things. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• Dear Emma,
      I will go and comment on your blog.
      Thank you for looking at my blog
      Did you study the sand cat?
      Are your favorite animals cats?